My Photo
Name:

My home is in Chamberlains, CBS, Newfoundland: a place close enough to sea so that I can go there to watch the glorious sunsets over the bay, and the other infinite variety of sights and sounds that are forever changing, yet forever the same. I'm not as young as I used to be and don't get around much any more, but I've had many wonderful hours of enjoyment with my Yasihca 44 TLR and trusty old OM-2. I've always enjoyed photographing wild flowers, particularly the smaller ones, many of which , albeit mostly overlooked and dismissed as weeds, are exquisitely beautiful. Digital photography, complete with all the magic of its own portable darkroom, has brought a new dimension to the hobby. My OM-2 is retired now, but it is such a beautiful instrument, such a joy to hold and behold, that I don't think I will ever want to part with it. My digital, used mostly, is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30. Its 35-420 mm Leica zoom lens can really reach out for those hard to reach shots. My photographs are strictly amateurish, but hopefully some have succeeded in capturing something of the moment that inspired them.

Monday, November 02, 2009


THE SEASON OF LONG DARK NIGHTS.
.
It will be a long time before once again we see the sun setting over the water from this (south) side of the bay. It is still wending its way south until the Solstice (Dec. 21, shortest day) when once again it will commence its slow journey back to breathe new life into our frozen and dormant domain. Understandably, many of our Christmas customs are of pagan origin, for man has always sought refuge from the depression of the short days and the long and dreary nights of winter. Except for devout Christians, little of Christmas has anything to do with Christ. It is not the folly, but the mercenary exploitation that is so sickening and so pitiful and so disgusting. Those who would use Christ to stimulate their profits, are beneath contempt. Rudolph and Frosty are far more fitting for that concept of Christmas.
I'd love to hear comments from my blogger friends on this subject. I'm a Christian but not a fundamentalist. God forbid!!!



Site Meter

2 Comments:

Blogger David c.h. Brown said...

Amen to that Lloyd! I was raised in a profoundly fundamentalist home, and it totally destroyed my life for many decades. Needless to say, I no longer "belong." I love to play the Christmas Hymns and secular music on my button accordion, but unfortunately, it is only in season for a short while. My Christmas is Family, Food and Music, or Music and Friends. We spend very little on gifts for the very reasons you nicely stated in your blog above. By the way, I love this dramatic sunset. Thanks for that. Dave

4:03:00 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

Thanks, David!

11:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home