My Photo
Name:

My home is in Chamberlains, CBS, Newfoundland: a place close enough to sea so that I can go there to watch the glorious sunsets over the bay, and the other infinite variety of sights and sounds that are forever changing, yet forever the same. I'm not as young as I used to be and don't get around much any more, but I've had many wonderful hours of enjoyment with my Yasihca 44 TLR and trusty old OM-2. I've always enjoyed photographing wild flowers, particularly the smaller ones, many of which , albeit mostly overlooked and dismissed as weeds, are exquisitely beautiful. Digital photography, complete with all the magic of its own portable darkroom, has brought a new dimension to the hobby. My OM-2 is retired now, but it is such a beautiful instrument, such a joy to hold and behold, that I don't think I will ever want to part with it. My digital, used mostly, is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30. Its 35-420 mm Leica zoom lens can really reach out for those hard to reach shots. My photographs are strictly amateurish, but hopefully some have succeeded in capturing something of the moment that inspired them.

Thursday, October 15, 2009


A "NORD-EAST" GALE.
.
Yesterday, N.E. winds reached 120 kmph which is near hurricane force. Add to that rain and sleet and the tickle was far from what I've become used to photographing. The sea in all its fury is a awesome sight. I couldn't help but think of those men and women "who go down to the sea in ships and occupy their business in the deep". Where I was parked in my car, the waves were breaking on the seashore. It would have been much more spectacular had I been near a cliff or a break-water.


Site Meter

3 Comments:

Blogger David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Lloyd,
These sea pictures are just great! When I was a boy growing up, I used to think of the sea as the great measuring stick that everyone and everything had to stack up against. If no heed was paid to its dictates, a dreadful price was paid. I remember watching my Dad cry as we listened on Marine Band radio to a trawler founder trying to make port during Hurricane Hazel. All hands were lost. Just this past week, another boat smashed on the rocks just outside of Stephenville.
Luckily no lives were lost this time. Thanks again, Dave

1:35:00 AM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

Hi David!


The sea, in all its awesome beauty and many moods, is entirely without mercy.

10:00:00 PM  
Blogger Cate and David said...

A marvelous series of powerful images!
Being from the interior of BC I only can only imagine the feeling as you watch the sea boil and thunder. We did not have the experience of seeing such a sight when we visited. Dave L

1:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home