My Photo
Name:

My home is in Chamberlains, CBS, Newfoundland: a place close enough to sea so that I can go there to watch the glorious sunsets over the bay, and the other infinite variety of sights and sounds that are forever changing, yet forever the same. I'm not as young as I used to be and don't get around much any more, but I've had many wonderful hours of enjoyment with my Yasihca 44 TLR and trusty old OM-2. I've always enjoyed photographing wild flowers, particularly the smaller ones, many of which , albeit mostly overlooked and dismissed as weeds, are exquisitely beautiful. Digital photography, complete with all the magic of its own portable darkroom, has brought a new dimension to the hobby. My OM-2 is retired now, but it is such a beautiful instrument, such a joy to hold and behold, that I don't think I will ever want to part with it. My digital, used mostly, is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30. Its 35-420 mm Leica zoom lens can really reach out for those hard to reach shots. My photographs are strictly amateurish, but hopefully some have succeeded in capturing something of the moment that inspired them.

Saturday, June 27, 2009


FOGGY SUNSET THIS EVENING AT CHAMBERLAINS BEACH.
.
How I will miss this when I am gone. Our government shows little compassion for the elderly of limited means without first reducing them to paupers and then placing them under the aegis of the burgeoning bureaucratic Welfare Department. Our Danny, good man though he is, is so obsessed with oil dollars, he has dismissed the outports as being no longer "viable" and seems totally incapable of understanding the difference between dollars and quality of life. Consequently there has sprung up in our midst a fool's paradise. Those who are too blind to see what is happening are perhaps the lucky ones, at least they can milch some tourist dollars by building, for their entertainment, mock-up replicas of the past.

Any and all comments are appreciated.



4 Comments:

Blogger David c.h. Brown said...

Hey Lloyd,
I agree whole heartedly my man. And pretty soon there will be, just like a line from a Stan Rogers
song, Upper Canadian Concrete & Glass right down to the water line.
As you said in your most recent post, No Pride of Place. I was so sad to see so much of Corner Brook in wrack and ruin when I was home last summer. I had hoped there would be some improvement, but you had to climb up out of the potholes to see the few there were. So sad after all these years.......Dave

11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

This is what we sold our souls for. On July 2nd.- our Memorial Day - where do you suppose the bulk of the celebrants will be: sure as hell not at the monuments. For now there is not much we can do except weep. Someday a Moses will rise up in our wilderness. Perhaps we have to wait until after the wells run dry.
Dannny is a mirage.

12:05:00 AM  
Blogger David c.h. Brown said...

Lloys, we have to be content to photograph the really important things like gulls in the foggy sunsets. It calms the soul. Too many have traded a peaceful inner sense of self, for some so called classy objects, that eventually wind up in the garbage dumps. But then, some souls are wastelands, and they will never know the difference. But I have been told that I am just an uneducated old man....and by the way, no more talking of being gone. You are needed. Thanks, Dave

12:46:00 AM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

"I am the master of my fate, I am ther captain of my soul......"

Bs!

Henley was an Existentialist.

1:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home