My Photo
Name:

My home is in Chamberlains, CBS, Newfoundland: a place close enough to sea so that I can go there to watch the glorious sunsets over the bay, and the other infinite variety of sights and sounds that are forever changing, yet forever the same. I'm not as young as I used to be and don't get around much any more, but I've had many wonderful hours of enjoyment with my Yasihca 44 TLR and trusty old OM-2. I've always enjoyed photographing wild flowers, particularly the smaller ones, many of which , albeit mostly overlooked and dismissed as weeds, are exquisitely beautiful. Digital photography, complete with all the magic of its own portable darkroom, has brought a new dimension to the hobby. My OM-2 is retired now, but it is such a beautiful instrument, such a joy to hold and behold, that I don't think I will ever want to part with it. My digital, used mostly, is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30. Its 35-420 mm Leica zoom lens can really reach out for those hard to reach shots. My photographs are strictly amateurish, but hopefully some have succeeded in capturing something of the moment that inspired them.

Saturday, October 24, 2009



THE LONELY MAPLE.
.
This is the only surviving remnant of the homestead where I was born and raised. The tree stood in the NE corner of our kitchen garden where its branches over-reached the fence that market the south boundary of the road that led to the fishing premises on the East side of the cove, and to the road that led along the cliff-top to the old pioneer cemetery. Some wishful thinking (a.k.a.) simple minded individual staked out most of the East side of the Cove, claimed it as personal property, and offered it for sale by some real estate agency. Fortunately, I was able to nip that in the bud before some unsuspecting buyer got hoodwinked. Our building lot consisted of only 1/6 acre, most of which has since been reclaimed by the sea. As the ice continues to melt, the sea continues to rise, almost inperceptible, yet inexorable. Foolish people think that if you don't notice it, it will go away. The tree almost blocked the view from my sister's bedroom window, but it was there I stood to watch the torpeoding of the S.S. Rose Castle. For me , it isn't just a tree!

2 Comments:

Blogger David c.h. Brown said...

What a great story and photo Lloyd! I enjoy those. Thanks, Dave

10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

David, it's sad to see a place that was once such a vibrant community hit rock bottom.

5:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home