My Photo
Name:

My home is in Chamberlains, CBS, Newfoundland: a place close enough to sea so that I can go there to watch the glorious sunsets over the bay, and the other infinite variety of sights and sounds that are forever changing, yet forever the same. I'm not as young as I used to be and don't get around much any more, but I've had many wonderful hours of enjoyment with my Yasihca 44 TLR and trusty old OM-2. I've always enjoyed photographing wild flowers, particularly the smaller ones, many of which , albeit mostly overlooked and dismissed as weeds, are exquisitely beautiful. Digital photography, complete with all the magic of its own portable darkroom, has brought a new dimension to the hobby. My OM-2 is retired now, but it is such a beautiful instrument, such a joy to hold and behold, that I don't think I will ever want to part with it. My digital, used mostly, is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30. Its 35-420 mm Leica zoom lens can really reach out for those hard to reach shots. My photographs are strictly amateurish, but hopefully some have succeeded in capturing something of the moment that inspired them.

Sunday, September 20, 2009


WILD RAISINS.
.
Found along the banks of Kelligrews River. When fully ripened they turn from a brilliant red to a blue-black colour , and are a valuable source of nourishment for little birds during the cold winter months. Dogberries sustain the few robins who decide to remain. One of the saddest things is the decimation of our song birds. Only a tiny fraction remains of what I remember from my boyhood. Nothing must stand in the way of "progress". Very little of CBS has escaped the claws of the fron't-end loader. Even agricultural soil - the little that there is - is being dug up, trucked away, and sold for the new lawns. Who, in the end, will pay for the crimes that we have wreaked upon our planet!! Most humans tend to think that it all belongs to us to do with as we wish.



Site Meter

5 Comments:

Blogger David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Lloyd,love the wild raisins!
You are so right sir. Dig up all the green and pave, cement or lay decorative brick over where it used to be. It is so much more attractive don't you know? I'm being sarcastic of course, but no body gives a damn anymore. It appears to be up to us old guys to forage around, and find the little bit of beauty that is left on the planet and preserve it for a while at least. I am so sick of the slovenliness that seems to be everywhere. There is little or no respect for anyone or anything these days. Too many have an "attitude" and that is about all they have. I would like to do a book someday, and entitle it "Vanishing Sweetness." I am not liking very much what I am seeing looking in through the windows on my Dominion of Newfoundland! Maybe I read the comments section of the newspapers too much. Thanks, Dave

11:58:00 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

Thanks for your comments, Dave. I really do miss the vesper chorus of the little song birds; especially the robins.

1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lloyd,
The photos are super, it coincides with everything I heard about NFL. Would love to visit someday.

Roger
jackpilots@yahoo.com

8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

Thank's Roger!

I'm sure you will not regret your visit to this beautiful and historic Island.

7:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home