My Photo
Name:

My home is in Chamberlains, CBS, Newfoundland: a place close enough to sea so that I can go there to watch the glorious sunsets over the bay, and the other infinite variety of sights and sounds that are forever changing, yet forever the same. I'm not as young as I used to be and don't get around much any more, but I've had many wonderful hours of enjoyment with my Yasihca 44 TLR and trusty old OM-2. I've always enjoyed photographing wild flowers, particularly the smaller ones, many of which , albeit mostly overlooked and dismissed as weeds, are exquisitely beautiful. Digital photography, complete with all the magic of its own portable darkroom, has brought a new dimension to the hobby. My OM-2 is retired now, but it is such a beautiful instrument, such a joy to hold and behold, that I don't think I will ever want to part with it. My digital, used mostly, is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30. Its 35-420 mm Leica zoom lens can really reach out for those hard to reach shots. My photographs are strictly amateurish, but hopefully some have succeeded in capturing something of the moment that inspired them.

Thursday, September 17, 2009


ACROSS THE VALLEY.
.
View from Martha's Place.



Site Meter

9 Comments:

Blogger Cate and David said...

Your composition is perfect, the exposure in the foreground, the silouhette and the blue clouds make an image that keeps you looking at it. Thanks for sharing this with everyone

11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

Thank you! I had a look at your blog last night. Your compressed view of the Anglican Cathedral is fascinating.

6:18:00 PM  
Blogger Cate and David said...

Thanks for visiting our blog! With a full time job I personally don't do as many posts as I would like to. That photo of the Catheral in Harbour Grace was taken from the top of the slope behind it with my 12-24 mm wide angle and is one of my favourites. A wide wide angle is a lot of fun to shoot with. Take care!

2:54:00 AM  
Blogger gone to the dogs said...

I love the sky in these pictures...and I never get tired of looking at the ocean. I'd better get blogging again!

2:21:00 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

Thank you Kate and David for the clarification; it is always encouraging to get a positive comment; especially from a professional. I realized later that this could not have been the famous Anglican cathedral in St. John's, which, by the way, is considered to be the best example of neo-gothic architecture in the western world. Designed by the famous gothic archetict, George Gilbert Scott, the original building was completed in 1843. It was almost completely destroyed fire on two occasions and the current restoration was not completed until 1905. The steeple has not, up to this point. been completed. Pity, but nevertheles a must for visitors to St. John's.

I like playing with macro and tele rather than wide angle.

A most interesting shot of the old Hr. Grace church. I like it.

7:29:00 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

Thank you "Gone to the dogs".

I had a look at your blog ; so I know you live in Corner Brook. I mean, how much luckier can you get than to live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet: a photographer's heaven.
I avoid by whatever means referring to Newfoundland as a
Province". The notion of our old country being considered in any way subservient to Canada literally makes my skin crawl. What a terrible , terrible mistake we made in 1949. What Canada has not taken, they have destroyed. Politically we are as imptoent as a castrated bull. Great beef, though !!!!!

7:52:00 PM  
Blogger Cate and David said...

Hi Lloyd,
We visited the beautiful Anglican Cathedral in St John's but it was the end of a long half day of walking the streets in St John's and we were waiting for the Duke to open so we could get some lunch. We never made it back to the Cathedral, alas we'll have to do that on our next visit. I posted a picture of it on our website. If you like, please check out the images I recently up loaded of Newfoundland buildings on our website www.soletluna.com click on the photography link.

Dave

1:57:00 AM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

Thanks, Dave!

I have a shortcut to your website on my desk-top. Great stuff!

1:46:00 PM  
Blogger Cate and David said...

Thanks Lloyd that's nice of you. Now I'm feeling a little pressure to get the promised iceberg pictures up and a new album showcasing southern BC and the sunny Okanagan.

1:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home